April 23, 2013

A Stranger in the Homeland

Last Friday, I successfully flew across the Atlantic, ending my tour in England and moving into a new tour in the state of Utah.  It has been approximately eleven years since I last lived in the United States; in that time, I was a mere high-schooler.  For the majority of my life, I've lived in England (approximately fourteen years), and I've spent some time in Germany (about seven years there, four of which as an adult).

Toward the end of my tour, I was looking forward to moving.  There were minor things I felt I would not be missing from living overseas, such as traffic.  There are language and culture barriers of varying levels.  I've met plenty of nice, friendly, wholesome English and European folk.  However, there was always a subtle unease:  it was in knowing that I was still a foreigner in their countries.

Upon returning to the United States, I've often speculated as to what manner of reverse cultural shock I might experience.  There are indeed some surprises:  roads, towns, and space overall is substantially bigger.  Urbanization and consumerism is rampant.  Traffic has its own level of craziness.  Everything seems new and slick.  It's thrilling to see such things after being absent for so long.  However, having grown accustomed to the different nuances of England and Europe, I've become a foreigner to the US.  It'll take some getting used to, living here.

Strange as it may seem, I actually take pride in being an outsider.  I've always been one, but to be outside of the US for so long, I got to see and experience things that many other folks may never get the chance to.  I had the chance to live in Yorkshire, among its lush green hills and beautiful fields.  There were dozens of ancient churches, abbeys, and ruins, so full of history.  I got to reside in the tranquil valley of the Rhein River, where I treaded through characteristic towns and castles of a different sort.  I've seen the distinguished cities of London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, and Prague, each offering their own shares of gorgeous architecture and intriguing history.  And in every place I've been, there have been interesting cuisines and impressive sights worth experiencing.

Such experiences have gifted me with fond memories and a working knowledge of a larger world.  I suspect that there will be a multitude of new memories and knowledge that will come in the next few years.  I do wonder if my experiences will make me a foreigner to my own country.  At the same time, I feel a little more at ease than before.  I feel as though I've returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment